on edge

 

 I went to check out Matt Corby at the Oxford Art Factory the other night, a little hesitant but hopeful that he was better live than recorded sound through my headphones and speaker. And oh boy, his cd doesn't come close to how raw and passionate his voice and music is. There's only so much a cd can replicate. It can't make your heart thump and clothes vibrate to the drums the way it does live, and the sheer whisper of the voice isn't as delicate as it is intended to be.

Writing about this concert has made me think of a quote in Music and Lyrics:

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time. The physical attraction...But then, as you get to know that person, that's the lyrics. Their story. Who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magical"

I think there are two types of people, one more attracted to music and the other to lyrics. I find it tough using words to explain myself, so i'm most definantly a music person, judging the story by how sounds are put together. Matt Corby's songs hits the spot for me, apart from the occasional profanity, musicality wise it makes me shiver at how beautifully his emotions are expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment